Today, Uber have announced their launch in Mombasa, Kenya, bringing the transport providers’ global network to 399 cities. With the launch of Uber, Mombasa joins the list of smart transportation hubs in Africa.
Uber’s innovative platform connects drivers with riders in real time, at the touch of a button. Whether you’re going to work or going out with friends, Uber provides an affordable, safe and reliable way to get across the city.
Mombasa’s natural beauty has always made it a popular tourist destination attracting local and international visitors, it is also a cultural and economic hub. This is one of the many reasons why Uber loves Mombasa – a city of beauty with a vibrant local spirit.
Nate Anderson, acting General Manager for Uber Kenya said: “We’re really excited to be launch Uber in Mombasa. Giving locals and visitors in Mombasa an affordable, easy and flexible choice to move around the city safely and reliably.”
Kagure Wamunyu, Operations Manager for Uber Kenya said: “For those who don’t know, Uber moves around millions of global citizens every day offering affordable and reliable rides at the touch of a button. By offering a friendly and reliable complement to existing transport options, we can help improve urban mobility in Mombasa, reduce traffic congestion and the environmental impact of vehicles at the same time.”
Here is how to go about using Uber:
Before Getting into the Car
- No more street hails or waiting outside to find a ride. You can start the Uber app from anywhere and wait safely for your car to arrive. That means no standing on the street to hail a cab or struggling to find the nearest bus stop late at night.
- Trips are no longer anonymous. When a driver accepts your request, you see his or her first name, photo, and license plate number. You can also check whether others have had a good experience with him or her. In addition, the driver can see your first name and rating. You can contact the driver—and vice versa— through the app if there is any confusion around pick-up details.
During the Ride
- Share your ETA and location. You can easily share your ride details, including the specific route and estimated time of arrival, with friends or family for extra peace of mind. They’ll receive a link where they can see in real time the name and photo of the driver, their vehicle, and where you are on the map until you arrive at your destination—and they can do all of this without having to download the Uber app themselves.
After the Ride
- Feedback and ratings after every trip. After every ride, you and your drivers need to rate each other and provide feedback. Our safety team reviews this information and investigates any issues.
- 24/7 Support. If something happens in a car, whether it’s a traffic accident or altercation between you and your driver, our customer support staff are ready to respond to any issues 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Rapid Response. We have a dedicated Incident Response Team to answer any more urgent issues. If we receive a report that a driver or rider has acted dangerously or inappropriately, we suspend their account, preventing him or her from accessing the platform while we investigate.
“Uber is a new and exciting platform that is changing the way Kenyans move around their cities and we are shaping the future of cities across the world. Mombasa is a cultural and economic hub as well as a popular tourist destination that has a need for safe, reliable and efficient transportation and we are so excited to be launching here,” added Wamunyu.