Spinach and tangerine soup is a traditional Lesotho recipe you would love to cook. It is a low calorie healthy meal. It is topped with a little plain yoghurt that just adds the perfect amount of creaminess. It is almost a sweet and sour flavor combination that just simply works.
- 5 litres chicken stock.
- 75 grams yellow split peas.
- 25 grams’’ unsalted butter.
- 100 grams’ spring onions, chopped.
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric.
- 225 grams’ fresh spinach, finely chopped.
- 40 grams’ parsley, chopped.
- 50 grams’ coriander, chopped.
- Grated zest of 2 tangerines.
- Juice of 3 tangerines.
- 20 grams’ ground rice or rice flour.
- 150 millilitres cold water.
- 225 grams’ natural yoghurt.
Soak the split peas overnight. The following day add the chicken stock to a pan and bring to a boil. Drain the split peas and cook for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan and add spring onions. Fry gently for 5 minutes before adding the turmeric. Fry for 1 minute then add cold water and ground rice and stir in. put the contents of the pan to the stock pot then add the coriander, spinach, parsley and tangerine zest and juice to the pan. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Ladle the soup into dishes, garnish with a dollop of yoghurt and sprinkle fresh coriander over the top. Serve immediately.