Android users can rejoice as the latest Android software, which has been dubbed “Oreo,” has been placed in the rollout phase. Android 8.0 Oreo will roll out first to Google’s Pixel and Nexus devices.
The latest software is expected to roll out by the end of 2017 to other mobile devices such as HMD Global (Nokia), Huawei, HTC, Kyocera, LG, Motorola, Samsung, Sharp and Sony.
Here are some of the new features coming to Android Oreo
- 2x faster to boot up
- Minimises background app activity
- Autofill remembers app logins
- Picture in Picture lets you see two apps at once
- Notification dots quickly show you what’s new, and can be swiped off screen
- Android Instant Apps launch within your browser with no installation
- Google Play Protect scans apps to keep your device and data safe
- Improved battery life
- Redesigned emoji library with more than 60 new emoji
Historically, Google has named each successive Android release after sweet treats like Eclair, Ice Cream Sandwich and most recently, Nougat. The Android Oreo release marks a global collaboration between the Oreo brand and Google, which kicked off with the debut of the Android Oreo superhero — a new character who, as stated by the firm, personifies the powers of this iconic duo and the features of the new operating system.
Poised to be a pop-culture icon, Android OREO channels the playfulness of OREO and intelligence of Android to spread joy throughout the world. And, like all iconic superheroes, Android OREO originated from a wondrous, and unique, moment in time: the 2017 total solar eclipse that touched the United States.
Author: Staff Writer